English Lesson Plan-Sounds of the Letters
Topic: Sounds of the Letters
Objectives & Outcomes
- Students will be able to identify the sounds of the letters of the alphabet.
- Alphabet cards (or actual letters if available)
- Writing paper
- Have students stretch their muscles by doing some light physical exercises, such as jumping jacks or stretching.
- Ask students to think of some words that start with the letter of their choice, and write them down on a piece of paper.
- Introduce the letter of the week to the students.
- Show the students the picture cards of the corresponding letter, and have them identify the letter by saying its name and making the corresponding sound.
- Have the students repeat the name and sound after you.
- Have students make the sound of the letter as you point to it on the chart/book.
- Next, have the students work in pairs to find and identify the letters in a word or sentence.
- Have each pair show their work to the class and share what they found.
- Have the students make the sound of the letters they find.
- Have the students choose a word or sentence and write about the sounds of the letters in their chosen word or sentence.
- Have the students illustrate their work and present it to the class.
- Review the sounds of the letters and the words that contain those sounds.
- Ask the students to share one thing they learned about sounds of the letters today.
- Observe the students during independent practice to assess their understanding of the sounds of the letters.
- Collect and review their writing to assess their ability to write words that contain the sounds of the letters.